Consumers may also contact you with requests to know specific pieces of personal information that you collect about them and that this information be sent to them in a portable format.
How you can respond:
- Verify the identity of the requestor. Specific pieces of information carry more sensitivity than general categories, so the Attorney General recommends that you use three pieces of information that you already have on file matched with the information on the request. This can include:
- Phone number
- Shipping or billing address
- In addition, the Attorney General advises that you collect a signed statement from the requestor that they are who they say they are, under penalty of perjury. You will need to maintain records of these statements. It is recommended that you consult your legal counsel for the text of this statement as it is a binding legal document.
- Access a PDF of the relevant information. Access the Control Panel Data Request report in your Control Panel. Once you have verified identity, you can download a PDF of their personal information. Learn how to do this at “Accessing Consumer Information.”
- Send the requestor their information. Email or mail the requestor their information as instructed. Remember there is a 45-day timeline for responding to requests.